APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
Graduate Women Victoria offers an annual program of scholarships and bursaries for women students enrolled in Universities in Victoria. Our organisation has been awarding scholarships to Victorian women since 1931; see here for lists of previous scholarship winners, and here for a report from a recent winner.
Scholarship applications for 2019 are now closed. See the list of winners: GWVWinners2019
Applications for 2020 scholarships will be advertised here in December 2019.
Closing date: 31 March 2020
In 2020 scholarships and bursaries will be offered in six categories.
- Indigenous Undergraduates
- Fourth Year Honours
- Education – Masters Degree
- Masters Coursework, Masters Extended and Masters Research students
- PhD and doctoral degree students
- Centennial Scholarship – open to applicants for Masters and PhD Scholarships
You may be eligible to apply if you are:
- Enrolled student at a Victorian university or at a Victorian campus of the Australian Catholic University on 31 March in the year of application
- Have overcome or are overcoming disadvantage in the pursuit of your studies.
Disadvantage may include:
- Financial difficulty or low income
- English as a second language
- Migrant or refugee status
- Disability or medical condition
- Family/caring responsibilities
- Geographical isolation/significant distance from campus
- Family crisis or difficult family environment
- Career/ Study disruption
- Other difficult circumstances
Women who are Australian citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply in any one of the scholarship categories. Students from New Zealand are eligible only if they hold Australian citizenship or permanent residence. International students are not eligible.
Closing date for applications: 31 March
Closing date for references: 14 April
Scholarships will only be awarded to students who are enrolled on Scholarship Presentation Day, normally held on a Saturday in early June. Winners are expected to attend the Scholarship Presentation Day and give a brief presentation.
Before applying, students are advised to read carefully all the information on this website, including the Frequently Asked Questions.
To apply, choose one of the categories in the dropdown menu and follow the links.
Need help with your application?
Committee member Dr Barbara Murray present will two workshops in early March 2020 to assist students with applications for scholarships and grants.
For those who were not able to attend these workshops, summary notes are available here. Much of this information is not specific to GWV scholarships, and will be useful for any scholarship application.
Funding our Scholarships
Thanks to generous donors, the value of our awards ranges from $3500 to $8000. Please check here for more information about the funding of our scholarships, and details about making a donation.